Monday, January 19, 2015

{MIY} MAKE-IT-YOURSELF MONDAY! White-on-White Curtain with Tree Limb Curtain Rod




It's a new year and you're turning a new leaf.  Wanting to be more organized, be more put together and on top of upcoming tasks, all the while also purging the old and making way for the new!  Along with the New Year we are skirting up to Spring time!  I've already seen Easter decor and goodies out on store isles so I know it's on everyone's mind too.  I have already had a jump start on "spring cleaning" and now I'm moving on to revamping my indoor decor in an effort to get ready for warm, sunny days!  YAY for the fun stuff!!!

I'm starting with my living room.  Here is a simple curtain that you can make yourself and give your room some added character without draining the bank!  #winning  :O)


What you need: 

A white top bed sheet
Tree limb
Coat hooks
Thin cut fabric strips (or curtain hooks)
Fabric paint (color of your preference)
Cardboard or other board used for crafty stuff




I chose to do white on white to brighten up the living room a tad in contrast to my darker furniture and walls.



First, find a great spot that works for you to spread out and work.  I spread out on my living room floor, however, after about 10 minutes of leaning over my back started to hurt so I moved it to my kitchen table in order to stand and work.  


Make sure you set it up for you to be painting on the wrong side of the sheet.  When you go to hang it, the painted side will be facing toward the window. 


Place the cardboard (or other board of your choice) under the place you will paint on.  This protects the surface you’re working on from any paint that bleeds through the fabric. 


Place the stencil on top of the fabric, above the cardboard, where you want to paint, and then apply the paint.  Make sure to use a soft bristled brush and apply the paint lightly so as not to push too much paint through the fabric. 

This is a phenomenal project to get your little ones hands involved too!

Nickelbugs thumbs-up for her job well done :O)


Continue to move the cardboard around under the fabric as you move to the next spot to paint.  You can create a pattern, use the same stencil all over, or do like I did and paint random stencils randomly throughout.  Fabric paint dries fast, which is wonderful so you don’t have to wait for very long before moving on to the next stage.


Moving on, next you’ll fold the sheet in half along the length of it and cut it in half to create two panels.  (If you prefer to keep it as one large panel and tie it at the center, that works great too!  Just skip to the step of sewing on the tie straps)  Sew up the edges of the cut sides to create a clean edge and prevent the fabric from fraying.    



Next, get out your thin cut fabric strips and sew those onto the top edge of each curtain panel.  Now you have two beautifully painted curtain panels that are ready to hang!

 


Get out your coat hooks and your wood tree limb to measure and mark where the coat hooks need to be hung.  (I found a tree limb trekking around outside one day that has been sitting in my garage for a while)  After you have the coat hooks hung, lay your tree limb on the floor in order to tie on your curtain panels. 




Once your curtain panels are tied on then you are ready to hang your new curtains!  You can let them hang as is or you can tie them to the sides.  If you chose not to create two panels then you can tie it at the center or off to one side.  Either way you win! 




Pat yourself on the back for the amazing job you have done creating your own custom curtains!  I squealed a bit out of excitement at how awesome they turned out!  I am so fulfilled and I get so much enjoyment when a project turns out better than I thought it would :O)

I hope you enjoyed walking through the making of a light touch to my cozy corner :O) 



Sending you lots of Light and Laughter!

~Cassie


P.S. ~ Please share with me any thoughts or added ideas that you would like to see created on here!


No comments:

Post a Comment